Friday, July 29, 2005

Jesus was a Carpenter

Just got back from Caronport. Went out there to help out Shane and Amanda frame up a new wall and put in a new window.

The day started early when I met my friend Carl, Shane's dad, for a coffee at 7:30. Had a good chat, but wish I had more time with him. I know I can always book a massage with Carl and talk there, which after today I think I will, but sometimes I just like sitting around and talking with him. He would like me to do some carpentry work for him on his fireplace mantel. This is good, I love doing carpentry work. I recently bought a new planer and am anxious to use it with the jointer I got at Christmas. Marsha said that I kind of have an addiction for tools like she has for clothes.

(Now on with my story. If you couldn't tell, sometimes I ramble and go on tangents during a "Braden Story" as my friends would say.)


Carl and I then went to the hardware store to pick up the lumber for the trailer out in Caronport. I then loaded up and headed to Caronport to meet my friend James to help him, or I guess we helped each other, frame up the wall and put in the new window.

I figure it's been about 1 year since I've really done some carpentry work like this before. I usually kind of shut down during the winter due to no heated shop as of yet. I have a few projects left to do. The biggest project is to rip my parents kitchen apart. They've picked out the cabinets and have ordered windows. Looks like next is demolition. I enjoy demolition, but I really like to see the final product at the end of the day. I felt satisfied today when I saw the window in place. It looked sharp if I can say so myself.

I really should look into carpentry. James says there is the market out in BC, Marsha would be glad. I feel like I've accomplished something when I see the finished product. "I did That" Now this may come across that I'm full of myself, but no I keep it to myself. It just makes me feel better. I feel like sometimes I don't get much accomplished at work.

Now I am tired and my back is stiff, but I guess if I didn't work 10 hours in a day I wouldn't be like this, that and not doing it for a year. If I just could have max number of hours in a day to do the job, I'd be happy. Unfortunately sometimes you don't have this option. I feel I should get the project done as quickly as possible. You also have to be at a certain stage before you quit. You can't quit when you're half done painting that wall, or the wall isn't framed in totally and there is a big hole in the wall. Now I understand that I have to set priorities. Is work and money everything, I don't think so.

I think I should pursue this carpentry idea a little further. Who knows what the future holds.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shane Sowden said...

You and James did a sweet job today! Amanda and I are stoked! Thanks so much.

11:37 p.m.  
Blogger Jago said...

There's nothing wrong with being proud with something you created. I'm very proud of some of the articles I've written, and a lot of the stuff I've accomplished.

It only becomes a problem if you tell everyone that yours is the benchmark that everyone else has failed to meet.

1:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bless my life Braden, it is enjoyable to spend time with you. Glad we could do breakfast together. Looking forward to seeing the window next week, I know if you are pleased with it that it looks good. Say hi to Marsha, hope she is feeling better soon.
Take care,
Carl

2:43 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home